The Autumn Tag
Tag created by makeup-pixi3
Although summer is my favorite season of the year, I do love the transition from the warmer months into the chilly mornings of autumn and the many changes in weather, clothing, food and outdoor activities it brings. And, one of the best places in the world to enjoy the beauty of autumn is Vermont so I am a pretty lucky girl! Anyway, I came across this Autumn Tag post on That's What Sophie Said and loved it so much that (per her suggestion) I am giving it a go!
1. Favorite thing about Autumn? Those stunning, sunny, crisp fall days when you can walk through piles of brightly-colored leaves; pumpkin -carving for Halloween; awesome Halloween costume parties; and how the air smells a bit more earthy.
2. Favorite drink? Okay, I have two. My favorite grown-up drink for the fall would have to be a well-made Old Fashioned. It warms one up from the inside out and it is totally yummy…. but, for school nights, I do love apple cinnamon tea…cinnamon and fall just go hand in hand.
3. Favorite scent/candle: I am not much of a candle girl these days but I do love switching to my signature scent for the fall and winter which for me is Voyage d'Hermes. It is actually a unisex perfume which is brilliant as I always like the woodier, more masculine scents during the cooler months. Voyage is woody and dark but still has a subtle freshness to it. Love. Love. Love it.
4. Best lipstick? Ever since a friend gave me a tube of Laura Mercier's Lip Color Shimmer in Amaretto several years ago, it has become a fall and winter staple for me. I always have a tube in my makeup station at home and one in my purse. It provides excellent, moisturizing coverage without staining my lips and it lasts forever. And the color goes with everything. My recent new lip color love is Bite's Luminous Crème Lipstick in Shiraz. Perfectly matte without drying out my lips and a great dark, (but not too dark) color for fall.
5. Go-to moisturizer? Okay, this is one of my little secrets…I love Olay moisturizers. Not only do they work, but they are cost effective (which is great as it leaves me with extra funds to spend on other things like shoes or clothing!). I used to spend a TON of money on high-end moisturizers and tried plenty of 'em. Although they each did a fine job, I was just never in love with how they treated my skin…it was still either too oily, too dry, or in some cases, the moisturizers clogged my pores and made me break out. So, one random day I saw Dr. Oz (and no, I am not a huge Dr. Oz fanatic, but he does make good sense at times) on the Oprah show talking about what to look for in a moisturizer. He said the key ingredients (depending on your needs) were vitamins. Yes, vitamins. Who knew? Specifically, one should look for some form of vitamins A, E, C and niacin…and of course an SPF for daytime. With this information in hand I went looking through all the ingredients in the various brands I had used thus far…none of those in my top tier had any vitamins, or just had one or two. What's a girl to do in this situation? Hit the pharmacy/drug store which is where I found what is now my holy grail of moisturizers: Olay Complete Daytime Moisturizer with SPF 15. And it's only $10. Seriously. At night, I use Olay's Regenerist Micro-sculpting Cream. A bit more at $20 but still less than most one could purchase at Sephora or in a department store. And my skin has never looked better. I will admit that I do spend a bit more on my under-eye cream but I'll save that for another post.
6. Go-to colors for the eyes? Okay, this is going to sound weird, but I love the reds and golds. You know, like a brick-colored red and orange-y golds. And although it sounds like these are the last colors you should put anywhere on your eyes, I love them! If you pick the right one, it will come out lighter than one would expect and for me they really set off my dark brown eyes, pale skin and red hair. My two favorites right now are YSL's Pure Chromatics in 07, and YSL's Ombres 5 Lumieres in 3 Tawny.
7. Favorite music or band/singer to listen to? Not sure why, but when the cooler weather and shorter days roll around, I do find myself listening to music that is a bit more…moody shall we say…anything from Secret Garden, George Winston and Loreena McKennitt to Morcheeba, Depeche Mode, and Leonard Cohen.
8. Favorite outfit to wear (i.e. boots and a scarf combo)? One of the best things about the cooler, autumn days has to be a cozy, thick turtleneck sweater with skinny jeans, a new statement coat and cute boots. On my covet-list for this fall are Barbour's Kellas Sweater and Foxglove Tweed Jacket, Siwy's Leona Drainpipe Skinny Jeans, and Deerfield's Rustic Boots:
9. Autumn treat? This is a tough one because there really are so many but the winner has to be homemade apple pie (using my mom's recipe), after a day of apple-picking in the autumn sunshine! I promise to post that recipe soon!
10. Favorite place to be? Autumn weekends are the perfect time to make a jaunt to a neighboring town for a historical tour, hunting down a used book sale, going on a hay ride or the occasional hike, and picking out a pumpkin from the local pumpkin patch.
If you're reading this... I tag you to do this post too! Leave your links below so I can read your answers to the questions too - I'd be interested to see what you like! And if you are a non-blogger, I want to hear from you, too!xoxo, Meghan